Annette N. Brown
Email Annette | Follow on Twitter | Website
Annette N. Brown is the editorial leader of R&E Search for Evidence. She is also Principal Economist at FHI 360. She leads efforts to promote thought leadership, especially in research and evaluation, and build an organizational culture of evidence generation and use, across all sectors and regions.
Prior to joining FHI 360, Brown headed the Washington, DC, office of the International Initiative for Impact Evaluation (3ie) and served on its executive team as one of the Deputy Directors. In that role, she oversaw a variety of programs, including the organization’s HIV and AIDS impact evaluation grants windows and its research transparency initiatives. Earlier in her career, Brown worked at both for-profit and not-for-profit development implementers in roles that involved strategy, program management, business development, technical assistance, research, and measurement and evaluation. She was an Assistant Professor of Economics at Western Michigan University, and she has held research positions at the World Bank and the Stockholm Institute of Transition Economics. Brown is the author or co-author of several articles that have been published in public health and social science journals, and she edited the book, When Is Transition Over? Brown has a Master of Arts degree in Russian and East European Studies and a doctorate in economics from the University of Michigan.
- Wood BDK, Müller R and Brown AN. Push button replication: Is impact evaluation evidence for international development verifiable? PLoS ONE 13(12): e0209416.
- Burke HM, Chen M and Brown AN. Applying factorial designs to disentangle the effects of integrated development. IDS Bulletin, Vol. 49, No. 4, 2018.
- Namey E, Laumann LC and Brown AN. Learning about integrated development using longitudinal mixed methods programme evaluation. IDS Bulletin, Vol. 49, No. 4, 2018.
- Brown AN and Wood BDK. Replication studies of development impact evaluations. The Journal of Development Studies, 2018.
- Brown AN and Wood BDK. Which tests not witch hunts: A diagnostic approach for conducting replication research. Economics: The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, 12 (2018-53): 1-26.
- Sabet SM and Brown AN. Is impact evaluation still on the rise? The new trends in 2010-2015. Journal of Development Effectiveness, Vol. 10, No. 3, 2018.