Annette N. Brown
Annette N. Brown is the editorial leader of R&E Search for Evidence. She also leads the Research and Evaluation Strategic Initiative at FHI 360, the purpose of which is to enhance the role that research and evaluation play in FHI 360’s work and reputation.
Prior to joining FHI 360, Brown headed the Washington, DC, office of the International Initiative for Impact Evaluation (3ie) and served on its executive team as one of the Deputy Directors. In that role, she oversaw a variety of programs, including the organization’s HIV and AIDS impact evaluation grants windows and its research transparency initiatives. Earlier in her career, Brown worked at both for-profit and not-for-profit development implementers in roles that involved strategy, program management, business development, technical assistance, research, and measurement and evaluation. She was an Assistant Professor of Economics at Western Michigan University, and she has held research positions at the World Bank and the Stockholm Institute of Transition Economics. Brown is the author or co-author of several articles that have been published in public health and social science journals, and she edited the book, When Is Transition Over? Brown has a Master of Arts degree in Russian and East European Studies and a doctorate in economics from the University of Michigan.
Select posts from other blogs
- Is HIV self-testing passing the test?
- Is impact evaluation still on the rise?
- Let’s bring back theory to theory of change
- The pitfalls of going from pilot to scale, or why ecological validity matters
- When is an error not an error?
Select recent publications
- “Interventions to drive uptake of voluntary medical male circumcision – a collection of impact evaluation evidence,” with Sema Sgaier, Jason Reed, Maya Sundaram, Eric W. Djimeu, and Renee Rizon. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, Vol. 72, Supplement 4, October 2016.
- “Strength of evidence on demand creation for voluntary medical male circumcision from 7 impact evaluations in Southern and Eastern Africa,” with Eric W. Djimeu. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, Vol. 72, Supplement 4, October 2016.
- “Public readiness for HIV self-testing in Kenya,” with Anna C. Heard. AIDS Care, DOI: 10.1080/09540121.2016.1191602, June 2016.
- “The growth of impact evaluation for international development: how much have we learned?” with Drew B. Cameron and Anjini Mishra. Journal of Development Effectiveness, Vol. 8, No. 1, 2016 (published online April 28, 2015).
- “Quality evidence for policymaking: I’ll believe it when I see the replication,” with Drew B. Cameron and Benjamin D.K. Wood. Journal of Development Effectiveness, Vol. 6, No. 3, September 2014.
- “A review of the evidence of harm from self-tests” with Eric W. Djimeu and Drew B. Cameron. AIDS and Behavior Vol. 18, Supplement 4, 2014.